DataOrbis is a Smollan business and a leading global data management and insights company, that leads change by connecting people to their data. Working predominantly in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) industry we enable environments where clients and their brands can thrive by combining people, process, and leading-edge cloud technology to facilitate and inform business decisions that are customized to our clients’ needs. With a wealth of experience and expertise in information technology and market information services in the consumer goods and retail industries, over the past 10 years we have become a leader in the data management industry by constantly differentiating and evolving our offerings to meet client needs. We currently have offices in South Africa, Kenya, and the UAE. Our Values of Trust, Accountability, Innovation and Teamwork are the absolute foundation of our business, and we believe in attracting, recruiting, retaining, and developing the brightest talent, to allow the right skills at the right place, at the right time and for us to constantly focus on engaging our team in a winning environment. We are currently looking for a professionally skilled SQL Database Administrator to join our team.
You are a technically proficient DBA and have the skills to manage a SQL server to successfully store, organise and access data. You have experience in the implementation, configuration, maintenance and performance of critical SQL server systems and you are innovative and driven and constantly seek out methods to improve and increase the systems efficiency.
You are interpersonally skilled and a strong administrator who loves data and are comfortable in collaborating, engaging with and building rapport with various development teams and both internal and external users as required. You possess a technical mindset and understanding of our clients wants and needs, and you can easily identify opportunities for efficiency, ensuring that the client recognizes the value being added to their business by our service offering.
You enjoy working in a team-based environment, have strong communication skills and are just as comfortable to work independently with little or no supervision in the execution of tasks as required.
You will report into the Head of IT and will be responsible for the development and sustainment of the SQL Server Warehouse, ensuring its operational readiness and executing data loads, performing data modelling in support of multiple development teams.
- Installation and configuration of all new SQL server instances.
- Setup & Configuration of Platform Databases (Azure).
- Manage upgrades and migrations as required.
- Develop, implement and carry out backups and backup testing and recovery plan for databases.
- Control database security including authentication, authorization and auditing as per ISO requirements.
- Mange change control.
- Storage and capacity planning.
- Performance monitoring and tuning.
- Management of data-automation tasks.
- Cost containment of platform databases.
Your skills and experience include
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in Cloud Database Administration including administration, performance tuning, security backup and recovery.
- A relevant tertiary degree or Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering Information Systems or equivalent.
- Experience in Microsoft SQL, Azure SQL, MySQL and a working knowledge of data warehousing & analytics principles.
Key personal attributes include
- Effective time management in order to prioritize and execute tasks to meet deadlines as specified.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills in order to communicate progress, developments and difficulties encountered.
- Ability to learn and adapt to change in a high paced rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to multitask and work on multiple concurrent projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to professionally communicate, interact with and build relationships with clients and data sources and internal team members.
- Ability to organize and plan work independently.
- Troubleshooting ability with the ability to develop logical solutions to fit situations and expectations and/or follow specifications.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality.
- Initiative and action and delivery orientated.
- Innovative and results driven.
- Passionate and self-motivated.
How to apply
If you meet the above criteria and would like to join our dynamic team, “please click here”
When applying, please ensure you have the minimum requirements. Applicants must have a valid South African or be a permanent resident.