Argility Technology Group (ATG) is a group of South African technology businesses who utilise software and technology to digitise processes, improve efficiencies and create a competitive edge for our customer and partners. We are software specialists who solve complex business problems by supplying and supporting various software solutions such as big data analytics, IoT asset management, retail and supply chain solutions, fleet management software and more. Decades-long customer relationships bear testament to our customer-centric culture, exceptional service and innovative thinking. We strive to become an extension of our customers businesses and not just another solution provider. We continue to reinvent and digitally transform organisations and ourselves, on our journey to automate and digitise using machine learning, AI and the internet of things.
ATG, Data Orbis, Smollan and Mediametrics are proudly part of the Smollan Data and Tech Cluster.
Joining the ATG team of Software Specialists as a Linux System Administrator, you will be responsible for the rolling out of new systems and software, maintaining, upgrading, replacing, and improving the long-term performance of the systems and software, as well as the monitoring, maintenance and operation of the Linux based systems consisting Redhat Enterprise Linux VM’s running enterprise and open source software that are key to daily business operations.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement across applicable projects
- Translate internal customer requirements into robust innovative solutions
- Linux system engineering and administration focusing on Linux performance, scalability and security
- Understand and be a thought leader on the importance, virtualisation and administration of systems
- Administer and support the Linux environments
- Build and maintain Linux server environments
- Assist with system availability, performance and monitoring
- Designing, developing and maintaining software for clients
- Ensuring information security and regulatory compliance
Education and Experience
A tertiary qualification – Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, RedHat Certified Engineer or similar. Minimum 2 to 3 years of Linux system administration experience, including a successful track record in a mission-critical environment and experience as the last point of call for escalations
- Has contributed to an open-source project
- SQL experience e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL
- Experience with virtualization and cloud infrastructure
- Exposure to a variety of application frameworks/software languages
- Software development experience
- Networking experience
- Working knowledge of the agile methodology
- System Administration with Centos, Alma8, Red Hat Linux or SUSE Enterprise Linux
- Incident response, diagnostic activities, root cause analysis (RCA), corrective action plans, & advanced troubleshooting
- Python and shell scripting to automate existing workloads and routine system admin tasks
- C and Rust
- Networking stack components, e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, FTP daemons e.g. ProFTPD
- Java application servers, e.g. Tomcat and JBoss
- Database servers, e.g. MySQL and PostgreSQL
- CI (Jenkins, Koji)
- Have good technical skills
- Strong diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- High level of proficiency in maintaining and developing web services (email, web, ftp), back-ups (Bacula), monitoring (Nagios, Zabbix) and firewalling
- Demonstrates a passion for technology to serve operational and client requirements
- Proficient in configuration management (e.g. Ansible)
- High level of proficiency in typical Linux sysadmin scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash, etc.)
- Demonstrates a passion for optimal systems and simple procedure
- Programming: Compiled languages e.g. selection of C, C++. Advantageous Java, Rust, etc.
- Pattern usage identification and understanding, e.g. model, view, controller (MVC)
- Passionate about quality and high standards
- Has a strong sense of ownership
- Has a keen interest in open-source initiatives
- Is tenacious in troubleshooting problems
- Be able to work under pressure
- Meet strict deadlines
ATG main offices are located in Johannesburg with satellite office in CPT, position could be either hybrid or office based dependent upon independent working ability.
How to apply
If you meet the above criteria and would like to join our dynamic team, “please click here”
When applying, please ensure you have the minimum requirements. Applicants must have a valid South African or be a permanent resident.